The music room was originally the dining room. It is a handsome apartment with five windows to the floor, and six mahogany doors with painted panels and silver handles. These doors work on pivots and have no hinges. Two of them lead into the hall, one into the little drawing room, and one into the billiard room. The other two are dummies. Three of the windows are in a fair sized bow looking west. On the south and north two pillars in imitation of porphyry support the story above. On the walls are eleven frescoes representing figures of men and women. These figures and the decoration of the room are believed to be the work of the Adam brothers, after Wedgewood. The china cupboards on the south and north sides and also those between the windows in the bow were placed there (as bookcases) in the early part of the 19th century, when the room ceased to be used as a dining room, as were also the two mirrors in the bow. The two Hepplewhite pier tables now on the north and south sides of the hall were probably made for the spaces now occupied by the large cupboards. In this room are three Georgian arm chairs of Louis XV. design, also a Georgian settee of Louis XVI. design, with enamel and gilt decoration, and a pair of window seats of the same design, also a Hepplewhite enamel and gilt plant-stand, which was originally a powder table, a pair of cut glass and ormolu chandeliers, each having eight candle sconces which hang between the pillars, and Sheraton mahogany stand.

The next room is now the billiard room, originally it was the library and then a school room. The billiard table was introduced by the Rev. A. A. Holden, in 1874. Here are two fire screens, a card table, a round backed chair, and cane-seated chairs (all Sheraton), and a Chippendale mahogany bureau. Amongst the pictures, are two, after Canaletto, of London and Venice, William III. at the battle of the Boyne, portrait of the Duke of Kent (attributed to Sir T. Lawrence), "Christianity, triumphing over Paganism" (attributed to Tintoretto), a village on fire, and a seascape by moonlight, both by Wright, of Derby.

The dining room was originally a bedroom. It was adapted to its present use previous to 1819, when also the back passage leading to it, was made by cutting off a portion of the sitting room adjoining. In this room are a Hepplewhite pier table with carved front and inlaid top, two mahogany Chippendale carving tables, with lattice backs, the one at the west end with carved and fluted supports, also two pedestal cupboards to match the latter, and a very uncommon Hepplewhite lattice three tier dinner wagon. On the mantel-piece are a pair of Empire bronze and ormolu candelabra, thirty-four in. high. Amongst the pictures are - on the south wall, portrait of Queen Elizabeth, wife of Henry VII., by Mabuse Johad, portrait of Mr. Whettam, of Kirklington, County of Notts., by Wright, of Derby, full length portrait of Thomas, fourth Lord Middleton of Wollaton, by Romney, shown at an exhibition of a special selection from the works of Romney at the Grafton Galleries, 1900. This picture was sent by order of Lady Middleton, to Robert Holden, of Darley Abbey. From Romney's accounts (September 29th, 1782) the charge for it was £73, and for the frame £14. Lord Middleton died in 1781. He and Mr. Whettam married sisters, the Misses Chadwick, of Kirkington. Mr. Whettam is represented in the dress he wore at the fancy dress ball, held at Clumber on the coming of age of the fifth Duke of Newcastle, who married his niece, the daughter of the widow of the fourth Lord Middleton, by her second husband, Mr. Miller Mundy, of Shipley. The next portrait is of Robert Holden, of Darley Abbey (1722-1808) by Wright of Derby. The fourth Lord Middleton, Mr. Whettam and R. Holden were friends, and each had a copy of these three portraits. The corresponding one of Lord Middleton is now at Wollaton Hall. Henry, sixth Lord Middleton had his head painted by a local artist (Barber), over the head of his ancestor on this portrait. Other pictures on the south wall are - portrait of Sheridan, the playwright (attributed to Romney), shown at an exhibition of a special selection from the works of Romney at the Grafton Galleries, 1900, and portrait of an old lady, by Backer. On the west wall are - portrait of a lady "the Venetian Courtezan", master unknown. A similar picture is at Tyttenhanger, Lord Caledon's place in Herts. It is called the Venetian Lady, "The Fair Beauty", was bought in Rome, and is attributed to Longhi, 1710. "The Captive", by Wright of Derby, one of his well-known pictures, which has been engraved, "Horse Fair", by P. V. Bloemen, and portrait of a lady, by Opie. On the north wall are two portraits, one of a French gentleman, probably by Rigaud, and the other of the Duchess of Portsmouth, by Sir P. Lely. Amongst the pictures on the east wall are - portrait of Right Hon. Charles James Fox (1749-1806), by Zoffany, which was exhibited at the second special exhibition of National Portraits, commencing with the reign of William and Mary, and ending with the year 1800, which was held in the Kensington Museum, in 1867. The cliffs of Dover, and a landscape with ruined castle, attributed to Richard Wilson.

At the bottom of the principal staircase is a Queen Anne mahogany chest, and at the top a shaped Louis XV. clock in marqueterie case with ormolu mounts. The walls of this staircase are covered with pictures. Amongst them are - portrait of Sir Joshua Reynolds, by himself, portrait of Lady Derby, attributed to Vandyck, two of Atkinson Holden (1727-1783) and one of Coke, the lawyer, by Phillips. Some of the best of the pictures in the house were inherited by R. Holden (1764-1844) from his cousin, R. Holden (1722-1808), and were removed by him from Darley Abbey to Nuthall Temple (together with much furniture, books, &c). Some were bought by R. Holden (1805-1872). Amongst the heirlooms at Darley Abbey, were portraits of Alexander Holden (died 1769), of Hawton, the father of Robert (1722-1808), and Atkinson (1727-1783), his wife (nee Mary Atkinson, died 1745), and his daughter. These cannot be identified. In the gallery are three Chippendale tables, three inlaid tables, early Sheraton, a very fine Chippendale mahogany commode, shaped, and on carved supports (Plate III., Fig. 3), a marqueterie cabinet Prague work on an English stand, and four cabinets filled with china. In the one on the north wall is a Crown Derby plate of the "Trotter" pattern*, which is interesting in itself, and also from the fact that Mrs. Robert Holden (1849-1906) was Alice Trotter of Dyrham Park, Herts., a granddaughter of John Trotter, of Dyrham Park, for whom the set was made, and whose name is on the back of this plate. There are 170 pieces of this set now at Dyrham Park. This plate is believed to have been purchased by R. Holden (1805-1872), who died eight years before the marriage of Alice Trotter.

In the gallery is also a dower chest from Mechlingerg Schwerin, which was bequeathed to R. Holden, in 1915, by Canon Madan, as a token of their long friendship. There are ten bedrooms on this floor. The servants' bedrooms are on the floor above, those for the men on one side of the stairs, and those for the women on the other, following an old English custom. These rooms are lighted by skylights placed in the passage between the dome and the balustrade, and in consequence are invisible from outside the house below. The bedrooms on the second floor all contain furniture of the 18th century, and many pictures. In two of the lobbies leading from the gallery to the rooms are interesting 18th century urn stands of painted wood.

The first room at the top of the principal staircase is called the upper "tent" room. In it are a Chippendale gentleman's wardrobe and towel rail, a Hepplewhite dressing table, a Sheraton table, and a Queen Anne mirror.

In the next room "the red bedroom", are a Sheraton dressing table, looking glass and towel rail, Hepplewhite table, Sheraton chairs, mirror over the mantel-piece circa 1740, square Chippendale stool, and Queen Anne tripod table.

In the next room "the blue dressing room", are a large Chippendale mahogany linen cupboard, 7ft. 4in. high, 6ft. wide and 2ft. deep, with folding doors, which was originally a bed, a Chippendale mahogany chest of drawers, 5ft. high with O.G. feet, a Chippendale dressing table and writing table, a Sheraton looking glass, a mahogany folding Queen Anne angle table on cabriole legs, Hepplewhite chairs with Gothic fret splats, and Sheraton pedestal cupboard, wash stand, and arm chair. The mirror over the mantel-piece (a portion of which is original), is Queen Anne.

In the "blue bedroom" are a Chippendale mahogany Tall-boy, 7ft. high, with carved cornice, circa 1775, a Chippendale commode, a large oval Sheraton swing mirror, a similar dressing glass, Sheraton wash-stand and dressing table, Hepplewhite chairs with Gothic fret splats, and Queen Anne tripod table.

In the bath room adjoining, the mahogany enclosed corner washstand and tripod table are Sheraton, and the towel rail is Chippendale.

The bedroom over the music room, looking west, with a balcony over the bow is a fine room, and more lofty than the other bedrooms, as it has no room over it. It contains a Chippendale chest of drawers, commode, stool, and towel rail, Hepplewhite inlaid rosewood roll top writing desk, washstand, and chairs with Gothic fret splats, Sheraton dressing table and looking glass. On the walls are water-colours principally by W. H. Harriott, after Prout.

In the bath room next door are a Sheraton mahogany enclosed corner washstand, and Chippendale towel rails.

In the north wing, bedroom No. 1 contains a Hepplewhite bookcase with enclosed drawers and shelves under, a small table with three drawers and a mirror on the wall over the mantel-piece (both Chippendale).

In bedroom No. 2 are a Chippendale dressing table, a Sheraton chest of drawers, and looking glass.

Bedroom No. 3 contains a mahogany enclosed dressing table (Sheraton), and a Chippendale gentleman's wardrobe.

And bedroom No. 4, a round revolving library table, with drawers (Sheraton), and a Chippendale mahogany chest of drawers, with O.G. feet.

In the portico room, are a Hepplewhite mahogany chair, with fluted legs, a towel rail and stool of the same period.

On the ground floor, are household offices leading off from arched passages, a steward's room, and a smoking room. In the latter are - a large Chippendale mahogany writing table with drawers and cupboards, a Chippendale mahogany chest of drawers on carved supports, a Sheraton circular revolving library table, with drawers, four beautiful mahogany Chippendale chairs, with claw and ball feet, Cupid's bow top rail and Gothic motifs in splat (Plate III., Fig. 4), a Sheraton "saddle" chair, on which one sat as if on a horse, the back serving as a rest for the arms, with a revolving folding desk at the back. A chair of this type were used by the Iron Duke, and is now preserved in Walmer Castle. In this room are also a Hepplewhite arm chair and sofa, two Sheraton arm chairs, with leather seats, a Sheraton fire-screen, a bracket clock (by Brounker Watts, of London, circa 1715), A Dutch iron chest, circa 1630-1640, with four portraits on the front, and sporting scenes on the sides, ten silhouette portraits of members of the Holden family, a full length silhouette portrait of Francis Bradshaw, of Barton Blount, County of Derby, another of his eldest son as a boy, and a silhouette picture (2ft. x 1ft. 6in.), of his wife (nee Mary Ann Holden), and four children. There is also in this room a quantity of ornamental china in a cupboard of painted wood with Adam frieze.

In the housekeeper's room, are four Chippendale elm chairs with Gothic fret splat, and rush seats, a Queen Anne mirror, and a grandfather clock in mahogany case (by Whitehurst of Derby). A similar clock is in the passage outside the maid servants' bedrooms on the top story. All the rooms on the first and second stories, and the smoking room have oak floors.

Plate IV. The Dove Cote.
Plate IV. The Dove-Cote.

The gardens and pleasure grounds, which are extensive, were greatly improved by Mrs. Holden, wife of John Holden (1848-1913), who very judiciously cut down trees, cleared out spaces, planted many beautiful flowering shrubs, rose trees of all kinds, bulbs, &c, laid out the rose garden, set up the Pergola and wrought iron gates, and made a rock and bog garden out of a wilderness. The sunk fence on the south side of the house was made by J. Holden (1848-1913), and widened and lengthened by R. Holden, in 1914. In the grounds is a castellated stone dove-cote, with a round turret at each side, and an arch in the centre (Plate IV.). This arch, which for many years was built up with brick and timber, at the back of which were nesting places for pigeons, was opened out by R. Holden in 1914. The architect of this building, and of the bridges at the west end of the lake, is believed to have been Mr. Sanderson Miller, the friend of Pitt, and of the Lyttletons, who was the true pioneer of the revival of Gothic architecture in England. The date on the dovecote is 1759.

In the grounds are many fine trees, and a lake of very clear water, about thirteen acres in extent.

"'When furniture is described as Chippendale, what is meant is that it was manufactured from the design and in the period of that maker, and when as Hepplewhite or Sheraton, that it is in the style of those designers, and was made in their time.

*All pictures marked thus in this book were removed from Darley Abbey.