Military and Volunteers
Birkin.—Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Leslie Birkin, Ruddington Grange, Notts; third son of Thomas Isaac Birkin, D.L., J.P., of Ruddington Grange, Notts; born February 2nd, 1863; educated at Rugby and Paris. Captain in South Notts Hussars; volunteered for active service in South Africa as Lieutenant in Imperial Yeomanry, January, 1900; he succeeded in command of squadron on Colonel Rolleston being wounded at Lindley, June, 1900; made Major of 3rd Battalion Imperial Yeomanry in May, 1900, and gazetted Lieutenant-Colonel on June 5th; mentioned in Lord Roberts' last list of honours; received the D.S.O.
Birkin.—Harry Laurence Birkin, Lieutenant, South Notts Hussars; sixth son of Thomas Isaac Birkin, D.L., J.P., Ruddington Grange, Notts; born March 17th, 1872; educated under a private tutor, and at Owens College, Manchester. Volunteered as trooper for active service in South Africa, in Imperial Yeomanry, January, 1900; served in Cape Colony, Orange River, and Transvaal; received his commission in May, 1900, and returned invalided in January, 1900 mentioned in Lord Roberts' last list of honours.
Brewill.—Major Arthur William Brewill, Edwalton Lodge, Nottingham; son of William Rastall Brewill; born at Nottingham, May 17th, 1861; educated University School and by private tutor; a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Surveyor to the Diocese of Southwell; in practice with Mr. Basil E. Baily; erected Colston Bassett Church; Presbyterian Church, Mansfield Road; the West Bridgeford Wesleyan Church; Turkish Baths, Nottingham; and large numbers of private residences in the Midlands and on the east coast; the new schools at Creswell for His Grace the Duke of Portland, and also carried out the whole scheme for the Rifle Range at Trent for the Robin Hood Rifles; is at present a Major, and has held a commission in the 1st Notts (Robin Hood) R.V. for twenty years, and is serving under the Government as Acting Adjutant of the 2nd Battalion Robin Hood Rifles.
Bruce.—Lieutenant Percy Robert Bruce, East Hall, St. Mary Cray, Kent; son of Lieutenant-Colonel Hervey Bruce, of Clifton Hall, Notts; grandson of the Right Hon. Sir H. H. Bruce, Bart., of Downhill, co. Derry, Ireland; born 1872; educated at Eton, 1885-91. Member of the Stock Exchange; partner in Messrs. Montague Price and Company; gazetted Second Lieutenant, South Notts Yeomanry Cavalry, February 9th, 1898; now Lieutenant; served formerly in the 24th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers, and Reserve of officers.
Gresham.—Francis Baker Gresham, M.R.C.V.S., 13, Castle Gate, Newark-on-Trent; son of R. Brayley Gresham; born in Newark, 10th May, 1873; educated at Magnus Grammar School under the Rev. H. Plater, head master. Entered the Royal Veterinary College, London, 1891, October session; admitted M.R.C V.S. July 17th, 1897; joined his father in practice in Newark; through the special recommendation of Professor J. McFadyean, Dean of the Royal Veterinary College, he was appointed to the remount department for South African service at the opening of the Boer War; was commissioned by the War Office in January, 1900, to proceed to Texas, U.S.A., and thence to New Orleans to purchase remounts, which he afterwards conveyed to Table Bay, being fortunate enough to lose only three horses out of over one thousand; is at present (1901) in South Africa with the 2nd Remount Corps; holds two certificates of merit, granted 1894 and 1895, from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons; passed with distinction in Medicine and Materia Medica, and also holds the Middlesex Badge, 1894; Captain, 1899-1900, Newark Cricket Club; member of the Newark Football Club.
Milthorp.—Captain Edward Fairburn Milthorp, J.P., Balderton Old Hall, near Newark; son of Wm. Weir Milthorp, of Otley, Yorkshire, whose father was a large woolstapler at Bradford; born at Newark in 1853; on his mother's side three generations of the family held the Vicarage of Fenston, York, his grandfather having been vicar there for over half a century; educated at East Retford Grammar School. Has been connected with the old established malting firm of Messrs R. Bishop and Sons, of Newark, for a quarter of a century; on the death of the late Mr. Robert Bishop, Mr. Alfred Bishop and himself succeeded to the business, and the firm now ranks amongst the largest ratepayers in the borough. Mr. Milthorp has been a member of the Town Council for the last twelve years, and was Mayor in 1897-98; during his mayoralty the foundation stone of the Jubilee Memorial—the School of Art and Science —was laid, and he had the honour of opening the new waterworks at Farnsfield; was appointed a Justice of the Peace for the Borough in 1899, and has been for many years a member of the Board of Management of the Newark Town and District Hospital, having been President for two years, 1898-99; Hon Secretary of the Newark centre of the St. John Ambulance Association for the last fifteen years, and of the Newark Stock Library for the same period; Captain in the Robin Hood Rifles, and commands the Army Service Company of the North Midland Volunteer Infantry Brigade; a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, having passed the Chair in every degree, and is one of the few members of the craft in Notts who holds the dignity of the 30th Degree. Married, in 1877, the youngest daughter of the late Mr. James Black, M.D., of King's Lynn, Norfolk, who died in 1895.
Sherbrooke.—Captain Penn C. Sherbrooke, Keldholme Priory, Kirby Moorside, Yorks; son of the Rev. Nevile Sherbrooke, and Lady Alice Sherbrooke; born, 1871, at Penn House, Amersham, Bucks; educated at Eton College and Christ Church, Oxford. Married, 1893, Catherine, daughter of John Chaworth Musters, of Annesley Park, Notts; M.F.H., Sinnington Hounds, since 1894; rowed in Eton eight at Henley Regatta, 1889-90; 2nd Lieutenant, 4th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment, 1891-93; 2nd Lieutenant, South Notts Yeomanry Cavalry, 1898; Lieutenant, 1900; Captain, 1901.
Stafford.—Percy Beaumont Stafford, Ravensdene, Magdala Road, Nottingham; son of Charles H. Stafford; born at Nottingham, July 8th, 1878; educated under Mr. Hoffman, of Beeston, and at Clifton, Gloucestershire. Gazetted to the East Surrey Regiment in September, 1899, and proceeded to South Africa almost immediately; served through the Natal Campaign under General Sir Redvers Buller; was shot through the head at Ingogo and invalided home, returning to his regiment at Standerton in the Transvaal in February, 1901.
Walker.—Lieutenant-Colonel Herbert Walker, Redcliffe Road, Nottingham, and The Cottage, Sutton-on-Sea, Lincolnshire; son of George Frederick Walker, architect; born at Nottingham, December 22nd, 1846; educated at Willoughby House School; Fellow Royal Institute British Architects; Associate Member Institute of Civil Engineers; Fellow of Surveyors' Institution. Past President Nottingham Architectural Society; member of the Robin Hood Rifles for thirty-seven years, and has been through all the grades from private to Lieutenant-Colonel, which rank he now holds; is President and Treasurer of the Shooting Committee and Prize Fund, and was presented with the Volunteer Decoration in September, 1894.
Wright.—Lieutenant-Colonel Joseph Wright, Arboretum Street, Nottingham; son of the late Joseph Wright; born at Nottingham, October 1st, 1835, and educated privately. Articled to Messrs. Heymann and Alexander, lace manufacturers and merchants in 1850, and remained with them ten years; established, in 1860, a lace dressing and finishing business at Sneinton, which was taken over by a limited company in 1889; is now chairman and director of various companies engaged in coal mining, brickmaking, finishing of textile fabrics, etc.; is now a Director of the Bulwell Lace Finishing Company. Married, August 18th, 1862, Charlotte, daughter of the late George Swanwick, lace manufacturer, of Nottingham, and has issue Charlotte Louisa, Francis, Bernard Swanwick, solicitor, and Hilda Maud; one of the first members of the Robin Hood Rifles; joined as private, June, 1859, was made Corporal in 1860, Sergeant, 1864, Colour-Sergeant, 1869, and Ensign in 1870, Lieutenant in 1871, and was gazetted Captain in 1874, and Major in 1884; received at the hands of the Duke of Devonshire the Volunteer Long Service Decoration when instituted, being the first entitled to it in the regiment; was offered command of the regiment in 1891, on the retirement of Sir Charles Seely, Bart., but at that time declined; in 1900, the establishment of the Robin Hood Rifles having greatly increased owing to the South African troubles, the regiment was formed into two battalions, and Colonel Wright was appointed to the command of the second battalion; he has been present at every inspection and review that the Robin Hood Rifles have taken part in since their formation in 1859, an experience probably unique in the annals of volunteering; until 1886, was a Liberal of the Whig type in politics, but in that year became a Liberal Unionist, and is the Chairman of the Nottingham and Notts Liberal Unionist Club.