Literary and Scholastic
Bradshaw.—William Bradshaw, Carisbrooke House, Cavendish Crescent, N., Nottingham; son of the late Job Bradshaw, solicitor, and proprietor of the Nottingham Journal; born at Nottingham, April 21st, 1836; educated privately. Late proprietor of the Nottingham Journal, also founder and for several years proprietor of the Leicester Daily Post; Chairman of the Committee of the Nottingham General Dispensary ; President for three years of the same ; member of the Committee of Management of the Nottingham General Hospital; Chairman of the Nottingham Adult Deaf and Dumb Association; President of same two years; Treasurer of Notts Liberal Unionist Club; member of the Executive of the Liberal Unionist Association; co-optative member of the Committee for managing Nottingham University College ; Vice-President of Nottingham Naturalists' Society.
Briscoe.—John Potter Briscoe, F.R.H.S., 2, Forest Grove, Colville Street, Nottingham; eldest son of John Daly Briscoe; born at Lever Bridge, Bolton, Lancashire, July 20th, 1848; educated by his father and at government science and art classes. City Librarian; author and editor of many historical, antiquarian, bibliographical and topographical works; a founder of "Nottingham Sette of Odde Volumes," Nottingham Literary Club, North Midland Library Association, and a building society; foundation member, Fellow and a Vice-President of the Library Association; member of Bibliographical, Ex-Libris, Thoroton, Bronte, and other societies. Married, first, Elizabeth Baxter, of Bolton; second, Sophia Wallis, of Nottingham. One surviving child, Walter Alwyn Briscoe, joint author of "Chronicles of a Country Cricket Club," and regular contributor to athletic and other papers.
Kitchen.—Charles Henry Kitchen, the Red House, Sutton-in-Ashfield; son of George Kitchen, farmer; born at Sutton-in-Ashfield; educated locally. Became first Schoolmaster under the Nottingham School Board, and after taking a keen interest in politics for several years, being Hon. Secretary for the Eastern Division, was induced to take up the position of Conservative Agent for the three divisions of the Borough; Secretary of the Nottingham Conservative Association, the Mansfield Division Central Conservative Association, and the Nottingham and County Constitutional Club Company, Ltd.; one of the founders of the National Society of Conservative Agents, and has been Chairman of same; Vice-Chairman of the Midland Union of Conservative Agents; has been Election Agent for the Hon. Harold Finch-Hatton, late member for Newark, also for Mr. Bond, M.P. for Nottingham, and private agent to Lord Henry Bentinck since 1896; assisted to establish the local Nursing Association, and was mainly instrumental in getting the adoption of the Free Libraries' Act at Sutton-in-Ashfield; member of the Sutton-in-Ashfield Urban District Council since its formation, and previously a member of the Local Board.
Russell.—John Russell, M.A., Roclaveston House, 34, Waterloo Road, Nottingham; son of John Russell, Bank, Bridlesmith Gate, Nottingham; born at Nottingham, June 28th, 1850; educated at the Nottingham Free Grammar School; M.A., Balliol College, Oxford. Preparatory schoolmaster; formerly Assistant Master at Clifton College, Bristol; member of the Association of Preparatory School Headmasters; Local Representative for Nottinghamshire of the Society of Schoolmasters; Oxford Local Examination Secretary for Nottingham; member of the Council of the Thoroton Society; member of Bromley House Library Committee. Married Edith, daughter of George Brooks Bell, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, and has issue three sons and two daughters. Club: Borough, Nottingham.
Symes.—John Elliotson Symes, M.A., Tattershall Drive, Nottingham; son of the late E. S. Symes, M.D., of Davies Street, London, W.; born in London, December 31st, 1847; educated at Cambridge; 10th Senior Optime, Scholar of Downing College; M.A. Principal of University College, Nottingham: author of "Political Economy," "The French Revolution," "The Prelude to Modern History," etc.; formerly Second Master of the Newcastle Grammar School, and one of the Cambridge Extension Lecturers. Married Eleanor, daughter of the Rev. W. P. Baylee, Vicar of Alston, Cumberland.
Ward.—James Ward, Addison Villas, Nottingham; son of the late James Ward, Stanley House, Sherwood Rise, Nottingham; born at Nottingham, April 12th, 1851; educated at Cleveland House Academy, Nottingham. Admitted a Freeman of the Town of Nottingham, January 28th, 1873; appointed Trustee of the Baptist Burial Ground, Mount Street, Nottingham, March 26th, 1888; elected a personal member of the Baptist Union of Great Britain and Ireland in 1899; elected a member of the "Ex Libris Society," June 11th, 1895; elected a life member of "The Thoroton Society," July, 1897, and a member of the Council, July, 1898; this Society was founded to promote generally the study of the history and antiquities of Notts, and the Duke of Portland, K.G., is President; elected a member of the Bibliographical Society, December, 1898. It is as a bibliophile that Mr. Ward has earned a well-deserved reputation, and in December, 1899, the late Mr. Bernard Quaritch, the world-renowned bibliophile, wrote him asking permission to include his name in his "Dictionary of English Book Collectors." Mr. Ward has published the following works:—"A Descriptive Catalogue of Books relating to Notts in the Library of James Ward," 1892; "A Supplementary Catalogue of Books relating to Notts in the Library of James Ward," 1898; "Monumental Inscriptions in the Baptist Burial Ground, Mount Street, Nottingham," 1899; "History of the Baptist Churches at Woodborough and Calverton, in the County of Nottingham," 1899; "Manuscripts relating to the County of Nottingham in the possession of Mr. James Ward, Nottingham," 1900; "Nottingham Parish Registers, marriages, St. Mary's, Nottingham, 1566-1812" (St. Peter's and St. Nicholas in press); "Notes on an old Baptist family, Ward, of Nottingham," 1900; "Notes on St. Mary's Parish Registers, Nottingham, 1566-1812," 1901, and several minor works.
Woodford.—Frederick Woodford, The Schoolhouse, Granby, Nottingham; son of Francis Woodford, of Woodhouse Eaves; born at Woodhouse Eaves, on the borders of Charn-wood Forest; educated at Rawlin's Grammar School, Woodhouse; pupil teacher in Woodhouse Eaves National School, 1860-64; trained at St. Peter's (Diocesan) College, Peterborough, 1864-65; 1st Class Scholarship; 1st Class Certificate. Is head teacher and organist, music teacher, and newspaper correspondent; formerly Master of Barrow-on-Soar Church of England School, Elston (Notts) National School, and Hessle National School, near Hull; Master of Granby School, 1883; member of National Union of Teachers; a representative of Granby School on the Midland Counties' Association of British and other schools (Aid Grant), Notts and Derby Section; member of the Granby Parish Council; Secretary of branch of Newark Division of Notts Conservative Association; Secretary of local cricket club; has been a member of Loughborough, Newark, and Hull Town Cricket Clubs, and played for each. Married, and has three sons in the teaching profession.