Civil and Mining Engineers
Brown.—Arthur Brown, Glenthorne, Lucknow Avenue, Nottingham; son of George H. Brown, a Nottingham merchant; born at Nottingham, Novemher 21st, 1851; educated at the Nottingham Grammar School. Articled to the Borough Engineer of Nottingham; appointed Assistant Borough Engineer, in 1874, and Borough Engineer in 1880; has held the office of Principal Engineering Adviser to the city of Nottingham for upwards of twenty years; member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (London), and of the Association of Municipal and County Engineers; has been responsible for the carrying out of all the important works undertaken by the city of Nottingham during the past twenty years.
Chester.—William Reginald Chester, M.I.C.E., The Woodlands, Mapperley Hill, Nottingham; son of the late Joseph Chester, of Blackbrook; born at Charnwood Forest, Leicestershire; educated at the Loughborough Grammar School, and afterwards became an articled pupil to Mr. P. J. Wates, the engineer of the late Phoenix Gas Company, in London; President of the Manchester District Institution of Gas Engineers in 1893; President of the Incorporated Gas Institute of Great Britain in 1896; elected a full member of the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1894, without having passed through the usual probationary period of associateship; Engineer and General Manager of the Gas Department of the City of Nottingham, having held this position since 1888; prior to coming to Nottingham, he was for eight years one of the gas engineers of the Manchester Corporation, and during that time had charge of each of their works, being, at the period of leaving, engineer of the new works at Bradford Road. Married, in 1899, Irene Frances Isabel, the only daughter of the Rev. Douglas Dudley-Kerr, Glanmire, co. Cork. Member of the Whitehall Club, London, S.W.
Fowler.—George Fowler, Basford Hall, Cinder Hill, Nottingham; son of the late George Fowler, of Donisthorpe, Ashby-de-la-Zouch; born at Uttoxeter, 1840; educated at Appleby Grammar School, Leicestershire. After leaving school was articled to the late John Thomas Woodhouse, civil and mining engineer, of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; two years after securing articles commenced to practise as a mining and civil engineer, and became a member of the Institute of Civil Engineers and a Fellow of the Geological Society; has under his control the Babbington Colliery Companies, besides his own collieries and other important industries in Warwickshire in which he is interested. Married, in 1868, Mary Judith, eldest daughter of the late John Shaw, Registrar of the Tamworth County Court, and has issue one son, George Herbert (graduate New College, Oxford), and two daughters, who are married to two brothers, Dr. Ransom and Mr. D. Ransom, solicitor, both of Nottingham; is fond of shooting and yachting, and is owner of the yacht 'Wanderer"; member of the Royal London Yacht Club and of the Notts County Club.
Hill.—Henry Walker Hill, C.E., 47, Hampden Street, Nottingham; son of Henry Hill, late of Nottingham, corn merchant; born at Nottingham, March 18th, 1846; educated at Nottingham under private tuition. Fellow of the Society of Patent Agents; member of Institute of Mining Engineers; A.A. of Oxford; consulting and mechanical engineer and patent agent; was apprenticed to Messrs. Manning, Wardle and Company, of Leeds, locomotive engineers, and afterwards was for a time with Messrs. John Fowler and Company, Leeds, engaged in the manufacture of steam ploughs, locomotives, etc.; from thence went to France with the firm of MM. Ernest Gouin and Cie., in connection with the construction of locomotives for the Mont Cenis Railway and steam dredgers for the Suez Canal, in conjunction with M. Ferdinand Lesseps; since returning to England has been largely engaged in the equipment of collieries, mines and other industrial undertakings; has a large consulting practice, and is a director of several engineering works.
Moore.—Stephen Moore, 38, Mapperley Road, Nottingham; son of the late Samuel Weston Moore, of Nottingham, lace manufacturer; born at Nottingham, December 23rd, 1837; educated at Northampton. Manager of Nottingham Corporation Waterworks; after many years clerkship with Messrs. S. Smith and Company, bankers, Nottingham, was appointed in 1866, Accountant to the late Waterworks Company, and on the transfer to Corporation in 1880, was appointed General Manager of the Water Department; is a member of the British Association of Waterworks Engineers. Married Mary, daughter of the late William Huthwaite, of Eakring, Nottinghamshire.
Parry.—Edward Parry, M.I.C.E., Woodthorpe Grange, Sherwood; eldest son of Edward Parry, of Hendy Mold, Flintshire; born November 8th, 1844; educated at a private school in Chester. Civil engineer; from 1869-79 on the engineering staff of the Midland Railway Company; since that time has been in private practice at Nottingham; held the position of County Surveyor (Notts), 1879-89, resigning the appointment in the latter year owing to pressure of private work; was the engineer of the Nottingham Surburban Railway, the Dore and Chinley Railway (jointly with Mr. J. S. Story, of Derby), and of the Northern Division, extending from Annesley to Rugby, of the Great Central Company's extension to London, including the Victoria Station at Nottingham, which is the joint property of the Great Central and Great Northern Railway Companies; is also Chairman of the Railway and General Engineering Company, whose works are at Nottingham; Director of the Digby Collieries, and of the Nottingham Patent Brick Company.
Piggford.—Jonathan Piggford, J.P., Teversal Grange, near Mansfield; son of Thomas Piggford, colliery agent; born at Coxhoe, Durham, December nth, 1850; educated at Sherburn School. Mining engineer, and member of the Council of the Midland Counties' Institution of Engineers; Member of the Federated Institute of Mining Engineers; Manager of the Stanton Iron Works Company's collieries since 1892; served articles of apprenticeship with Mr. Richard Sheraton Johnson at the Haswell Shotton and Castle Eden Collieries, all in the county of Durham ; afterwards assistant to Mr. Edward Fenwick Boyd, Head Mining Agent for the Dean and Chapter of Durham; has had the general management of collieries belonging to the Barrow Haematite Steel Company, of which the Duke of Devonshire is Chairman, to Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan and Company, of Middlesbrough, and the Sheepbridge Coal and Iron Company, of Chesterfield; Justice of the Peace for Nottingham: Chairman of the Skegby Rural District Council and of the Teversal Parish Council since their formation; Poor Law Guardian of Teversal; parishioners' churchwarden, and one of the managers of the Church Schools; a member of the English Church Union.