'The county elite'
HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF PORTLAND,
LORD LIEUTENANT OF THE COUNTY OF NOTTS.
His Grace the Duke of Portland, K.G. (William John Arthur Charles James Cavendish-Bentinck, sixth Duke), Welbeck Abbey, Notts; Fullerton House, Ayr, N.B.; Langwell, Berriedale, Caithness, N.B.; Bothal Castle, Northumberland, and 3, Grosvenor Square, London, W.; only son of the late Lieutenant-General Arthur Cavendish-Bentinck. Succeeded his cousin, the fifth Duke, in 1879. Married, in 1889, Miss Winifred Dallas Yorke, and has issue one son the Marquis of Titchfield, born, 1893. The dukedom was created in 1716.
The Right Rev. GEORGE RIDDING, D.D.,
LORD BISHOP OF SOUTHWELL.
THE Right Rev. George Ridding, D.D., first Lord Bishop of Southwell, Thurgarton Priory, Notts; graduated at Balliol College, Oxford; Craven Scholar and B.A. (1st Class Lit. Hum., and 2nd Class Mathematics), 1851; M.A., 1853; D.D., 1869. Ordained deacon, 1854; priest, 1856; Hon. Fellow of Exeter College, Oxon., 1890; Fellow of Winchester College, 1896; Fellow and Tutor of Exeter College, Oxford, 1852-64; Junior Proctor, 1861-62; Select Preacher, 1862-64, and 1890-91; Second Master of Winchester College, 1863-67; Headmaster, 1868-84; consecrated Lord Bishop of Southwell at St. Paul's Cathedral, London, by the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Bishops of St. Albans, Lincoln, and Lichfield, May 1st, 1884. Married first, in 1858, Mary Louisa, daughter of the ninety-second Bishop of Salisbury, who died in 1859;second, Lady Laura Elizabeth, daughter of the late Earl of Selborne.
The Right Rev. ARTHUR HAMILTON BAYNES, D.D.,
ASSISTANT BISHOP IN THE DIOCESE OF SOUTHWELL.
THE Right Rev. Arthur Hamilton Baynes, D.D., St. Mary's Vicarage, Nottingham ; son of the Rev. Joseph Ash Baynes, B.A., late of Nottingham; born at Blackheath, March 23rd, 1854; educated at Denmark Hill Grammar School, and Brighton, St. Andrew's University, Oriel College, Oxford, and Gottingen University; First-Class Literae Humaniores, Oxford; D.D. Oxford; D.D. St. Andrew's. Vicar of St. Mary's, Nottingham; Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of Southwell; Rural Dean of Nottingham; served as Acting Chaplain in Boer War, war medal with clasp; ordained deacon, 1881; priest, 1882; Curate of St. Mary's, Nottingham, 1881-84; Vicar of St. James's, Nottingham, and Chaplain to General Hospital, 1884-88; Domestic Chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury, 1888-91; Six-Preacher in Canterbury Cathedral, 1890-93; Vicar of Christ Church, Greenwich, 1892-93; consecrated Bishop of Natal, 1893, in Westminster Abbey; Bishop of Natal, 1893-1901; Vicar of St. Mary's, Nottingham, 1901. Married Cecilia, daughter of the late Canon Crompton, of Pinetown, Natal.
Mr. JOHN ROBINSON, J.P.,
HIGH SHERIFF OF NOTTS, 1901.
John Robinson, J.P., Worksop Manor, Nottingham, and Mapperley Park, Nottingham; son of Thomas Robinson; born in Arnold, Nottinghamshire; educated at Chestnut House Academy, Arnold, and Packer's Academy, The Park, Nottingham. Justice of the Peace for the county of Nottinghamshire, and the borough of Nottingham; High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire for 1901; an Alderman of Nottinghamshire County Council; was a member of the Nottingham City Council for twenty years; has travelled in Australia and many other places; fond of fox hunting and country sports.
LORD HENRY CAVENDISH-BENTINCK,
M.P. FOR SOUTH NOTTINGHAM.
Lord Henry Cavendish-Bentinck, M.P., 13, Grosvenor Place, S.W., and Ouderley Hall, Kirkby Lonsdale; son of the late Lieutenant-General A. Cavendish-Bentinck, by his second marriage; is half brother to the Duke of Portland, and was raised to the rank of a Duke's son in 1880; educated at Eton, and Christ Church, Oxford; Lieutenant in the 3rd Derbyshire Regiment from 1881-86; some time Captain in the Derbyshire Yeomanry; Hon. Colonel of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Border Regiment since 1893; contested North-West Norfolk in 1885, and sat for that division, 1886-92; successfully contested South Nottingham in 1895, and was re-elected by a majority of 1384, in 1900. Married, in 1892, Lady Olivia, only surviving child and heiress of Thomas, late Earl of Bective, Governor of Guy's Hospital; County Councillor for Westmorland; has recently seen service in South Africa as Secretary to the Portland Hospital, and A.D.C. to General Brabazon, in the Transvaal War.
Mr. EDWARD BOND,
M.P. FOR EAST NOTTINGHAM.
EDWARD Bond, M.P., Elm Bank, Hampstead, N.W., and 1, Suffolk Place, Pall Mall, S.W.; son of the late Edward Bond, of Hampstead; born October 6th, 1844, at 84, Oxford Terrace, London; educated at the Merchant Taylors' School, and St. John's College, Oxford; obtained first class in moderations, and in the final classical school; was elected to a fellowship at Queen's College, which he resigned in 1891. Called to the Bar in 1871; was Lecturer on Conveyancing to the Incorporated Law Society, 1876-78; an Assistant Charity Commissioner, 1884-91; has been a member of the London School Board; unsuccessfully contested West Southwark for a seat in Parliament, in 1892, and became M.P. for East Nottingham in 1895, contesting the seat against Mr. Arnold Morley; in the same year was elected to the London County Council as the representative of Hampstead; was re-elected to the L.C.C. in 1898, and to Parliament in October, 1900; has been Chairman from the beginning of the East End Dwellings Company, which has expended some £300,000 in providing dwellings for the poorer classes; a Conservative in politics; unmarried; a collector of books and pictures. Clubs—London: the Athenaeum, Carlton, Albemarle, and Burlington Fine Art; Nottingham: County, and Constitutional.
Mr. JAMES HENRY YOXALL,
M.P. FOR WEST NOTTINGHAM.
James Henry Yoxall, M.P., 7, Pagoda Avenue, Richmond, Surrey; son of Henry Houghton Yoxall; born in Redditch, Worcestershire, July 15th, 1857; educated at Westminster Training College; M.A. (Hon.), Cambridge. President of National Union of Teachers in 1891; Secretary since 1892; Royal Commissioner on Secondary Education, 1894-95; M.P. for Nottingham West since July, 1895; author of works on education and books of fiction; journalist and writer for magazines; has travelled much in France, which he knows thoroughly; has attended several educational congresses in that country. Married, 1886, the daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel Coles, R.E. Clubs: Reform, and National Liberal.
Sir FREDERICK GEORGE MILNER Bart., D.L., J.P.,
M.P. FOR THE BASSETLAW DIVISION OF NOTTS.
Sir Frederick George Milner, Bart., M.P., U.L., J.P., 11, Hereford Gardens, W.; son of Sir William Mordaunt Edward Milner; born at Nun-Appleton, Bolton Percy; educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford; B.A., S.C.L. Made Privy Councillor, 1900; Justice of the Peace and Deputy Lieutenant for the West Riding of Yorkshire; member of Parliament for York City, 1882; defeated 1885, and fought Sowerby Bridge, West Yorks, unsuccessfully, the same General Election; in the Home Rule Election, fought Radcliffe-cum-Farnworth, Lancashire, and reduced the Radical majority to 120; in 1890, 1893, and 1895, fought Bassetlaw, Notts, increasing the majority to 1250 in 1895; returned unopposed in 1900; has travelled a great deal in Egypt before and after the war, United States, Argentine Republic, Brazil, Paraguay, Spain and Portugal, etc.; very keen about all sports, and encourages it in others. Married, 1880, the daughter of the late W. Beckett, M.P. for Bassetlaw Division of Notts.
Mr. JOHN EDWARD ELLIS,
M.P. FOR THE RUSHCLIFFE DIVISION OF NOTTS.
John Edward Ellis, M.P., Wrea Head, Scalby, R.S.O., Yorks, and 40, Pont Street, London, S.W.; eldest son of Edward Shipley Ellis, J.P.; born in The Newarke, Leicester, 1841; grandson of John Ellis, M.P. for Leicester; educated at the Society of Friends' School, Kendal. Coalowner, and chairman of bank; resigned business duties when he became Member of Parliament for the Rushcliffe Division of Notts, in 1885, which seat he has held continuously since; one of the temporary Chairmen of the House of Commons; Chairman of Grand Committees.
Councillor FREDERICK RICHARDSON RADFORD, J.P.,
MAYOR OF NOTTINGHAM, 1900-01.
Councillor Frederick Richardson Radford, J.P., Cedar Lodge, The Park, Nottingham; second son of the late John Heiron Radford; born at Nottingham, August 9th, 1844; educated at a private school. Lace manufacturer (now retired); made a Justice of the Peace for the city of Nottingham, 1892; elected unopposed to the City Council, 1896; in the Diamond Jubilee year, 1897, was elected Sheriff of the city; elected Mayor, November, 1900; a Governor of the High School, 1899. Clubs: Borough and Liberal.