Holy Trinity, Wysall.
ARMS OF ARMSTRONG—Gules, three dexter arms vambraced argent, hands proper.
THE first representative of this family to become associated with the Parish of "Thorpe-in-ye-Clottes" was Robert Armstrong, to whom Maud, widow of Henry Temple, at the end of the reign of Edward III., granted the moiety of the Manor of Thorpe "to find her Meat, Drink, and Cloaths during her life." This Robert further increased his estate by acquiring land at Wysall adjoining. In 1518 Gabriel Armstrong was "seised of eighty and ten acres of Arable Land apt for the sowing of grain in Thorpe-in-le-Clotts and so seized, did the fourteenth of March, 6 Henry VII., the said acres inclose with Hedges and Ditches, and so inclosed convert to pasture." Dr. Thoroton considered this act "hath so ruined and depopulated the town that there was not a house left inhabited in this notable Lordship (except some part of the Hall), but a shepherd only kept ale to sell in the Church . . . ."The Church, with its registers and plate, the Hall and the name of Armstrong, have now all gone; there is not even a post office, and the parish is known as Thorpe-in-the Glebe, and Wysall is the nearest Church.
The Armstrong tomb (1562), Wysall church.
The alabaster Tomb of Hugh Armstrong and his wife occupies the north-east corner of the Chancel, and is entirely within the Altar rails. He died when Queen Elizabeth was on the throne (1572), and his costume agrees with that period. On the side of the tomb the central shield bears the Arms of Hugh Armstrong, impaling those of Sacheverell, from which family he took his wife. On each side are two female figures, holding gloves in one hand, and supporting, in three cases, shields impaling the Arms of Armstrong, with those of Turville, gules, three chevronels vair; Fitzherbert, gules, three lions rampant or, in chief a label of three points; Raynes, Chequy or and gules, on a bend vert a Moor's head between two annulets or, a canton ermine: these represent the alliances of three of his daughters. Round the parents' shield is a ribbon inscribed: "Hughe Armestronge Esquire Marye his wyfe, daghter of Henrie Sacheverell of Ratclif-upon-Sore Esquire."
On the end of the tomb are three shields showing the Arms of Armstrong, Sacheverell and Armstrong with the sinister side blank, placed between the figures of a female, a man in armour, and one in grave clothes. The inscription in black letter round the chamfer reads: "Here lyeth the bodyes of Hugh Armestrong Esquier and Marye his wiff, daughter of.....Sacheverell of Ratclif-upon-Sore, Esquier, wch Hugh dyed the xxijth dey of December m° d° Ixxii. and the sayd Marye dyed the xxth dey of Ma........" The Tomb stands on a stone base of 8 inches, and is 36 inches high, and 86 inches on the upper edge.