In 1810 John White sold the property to his son John Neville White, who, in his turn, disposed of it in 1829 to one John Mee. John Neville White is described in 1810 as " of the City of London, Hosier." It will be remembered that he afterwards took Holy Orders, and eventually became incumbent of Tivetshall, near Long Stratton, Norfolk.

At the time of John White's purchase in 1784, the house is spoken of as in the occupation of Mrs. Ann Else. In subsequent dealings with it the description appears only in the recital of the conveyance to Mr. White, so no opportunity arises for the draughtsman to mention his tenancy. It is not, indeed, until 1794, when, in a transfer of mortgage, a fresh description of the premises is given, that we find the house stated to be in his occupation. Still we think that his purchase of the Cheapside property some considerable time before his son was born, coupled with the fact that he undoubtedly did occupy it, is very strong confirmatory evidence of the generally accepted opinion as to the poet's birth-place.

It may be of interest to state that certainly down to the time of the sale of the property by John Neville White in 1829, the house itself was used as a private residence only. Its conversion into a beerhouse seems to have been of later date. It may also be added that it is not until 18 10 that the name "Cheapside" appears. From 1666 to that date the street is referred to as "Rotten Row."

To those who are desirous of pursuing enquiries into Kirke White's pedigree, it may be of assistance to mention that in 1718 one of the butchers' shops attached to the house was in the occupation of William White, who (or someone of the same name) continues to appear as tenant until the year 1781, when he was succeeded by a James White. In the Poll Book of 1774, to which reference has already been made, only two butchers in Nottingham of the name of White are given, William White and Henry White, Junior, both of Mary Gate. Possibly these were the father and brother of John White, and if this be so, we can trace the origin of the poet's Christian name. It may also be of service to add that the Castle Gate Register records the baptism of "Mary, daughter of Joseph Nevill," on the 10th of January, 1753, an entry which, there can be little doubt, refers to the poet's mother, although it does not altogether coincide with the statement of her age given on her memorial tablet: and, further, that Mary Maddock, afterwards Mrs. Swann, was the daughter of Anthony Maddock and Mary Kirk, the sister, if the notes of which mention has already been made be correct, of Samuel Kirk, of Long Row. Anthony Maddock and Mary Kirk were married on the 15th of January, 1747, at St. Nicholas' Church, Nottingham. An outline of a suggested pedigree of the White family appears on the same page as the reproduction of the poet's signature.

In or about the year 1798, the Whites removed to a house on the High Pavement, and there Mrs. White, assisted by her daughters, established a boarding and day school for girls, which was very successful, and was carried on by them until the removal of the family to Norwich in or about 1821. This house is now number 17 High Pavement, and is the lower or more westerly of the two large brick houses which lie immediately to the west of the Judges' Lodgings. It was here that Kirke White had his study, and not in the Cheapside house, as is erroneously stated by Wylie and others. The room itself (well described by the poet in " My Study ") is a very small one on the top floor of the house, with a window looking to the back or north. Its walls were formerly scribbled over with couplets, quotations and notes by Kirke White,1 and these were sacredly preserved in the condition in which he left them by his mother and sisters, so long as they remained in Nottingham. Since then sacrilegious hands have obliterated all trace of the poet's pencil.

In conclusion, it may be added that John White died at Catton in Norfolk, on the 3rd of July, 1822, and Mrs. White at Bracondale in the same County, on the 16th of January, 1833. They both lie buried in the Church of Eaton St. Andrew, near Norwich.

(1) The writer's authority is a near relative, since deceased, who attended Mrs. White's School, and lived in the adjoining house already mentioned.